Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bone Idle

Well the progress on the Vitara has been relentless. I've forgotten how many days I've been at it now. But as a disctraction (well needed I must add) I did the final prep work for the A40's MOT. Which consisted of finishing off the seam sealing and undersealing of the floor pans and giving it a damm good wash.

Below are some pictures of the car once cleaned of all the grinding dust and oily hand prints and the silver compound the police use to do finger print testing (don't ask it's not exciting).






As I'm sure you will agree it came up nice with a little T cut to get through the oil and faided paint, obviously apart from the redoxide on the repaired areas.

While cleaning the car and testing the brakes (limited testing involving going as fast forward and backwards as I could in a space of 40 feet) I noticed the drivers side to be sitting a little lower at the front. Obviously without having put any miles on the car since it has been lowered and with the 15" minilites I was concerned about clearance issues. So for the 1/2 mile drive to the MOT station I decided on a safe but slow poodle. My friend Jon came along for the ride, besides he has a pretty good relationship with the MOT man so with luck he would be fair but leanient. Besides he would also be there to laugh if the car failed spectacularly.

Pulling off the driveway tested the steering on full left hand lock. To my relife no rubbing. The car pulled well and we were soon up to the dizzy heights of 30mph. This was the first time the car had seen the road under it's own steam since before the tax ran out in 1993. I'm sure the car appreciated me being gentle. Anyway, over bumps and wallows in the road there was some tyre rub and once at the MOT station a quick look over the car showed both rear tyres to have touched (but very minor, yet on the shoulder of the tyre wich would be fairly thin) and the front drivers side. A comment was made about there being too much weight on the drivers side but I chose to ignore that and insist it was because the suspension was lower on that side.

We waited our turn and before long we were up. First test, Brake rollers. The brakes did work on the drive to the MOT shop but did not feel as sharp as I would have liked. I hoped this was down to the front pads picking up rust off the discs and thus contaminating them. The car was driven gently onto the rollers so as not to bounce the front end and rub the tyres. I was in. Front brakes were ok and the ballance was within limits. This was good news. I still may take out the pads and clean them up with a file just to make sure. Atleast the recon callipers seem to be working fine. The to the rear. Once again the wheels were dropped gently into the rollers and the foot brake was depressed. Infact so was I. The rear foot brake would not lock the rollers but as it happened they were providing enough braking force to pass the test. I plan to either replace the frame cylinder or reseal it again. the mechanial elements of the rear brakes are fine and was proved when the hand brake was tested. Both wheels locked up easily.

The car was driven out of the rollers (always fun due to the rollers spinning and more revs being required to push the car out) and on to the four post ramps. All the under body was inspected and I was advised of some rust on the rear lower corners which would have to be sorted at some point. I was aware of this and infact have the panels to do it but was hoping the car would pass without having to do it. Besides, I've had enough of welding for the time being. I'm not sure why but the car was left running through the entire test (about 40-50 minuites) which actually gave me an opportunity to see if it would boil over. It did not and the temp gauge I fitted hovered around the 170F mark so that was ok.

To cut a long story short (I know I can't) the only item the car had to be failed on was the steering idler on the passenger side was worn. Not too bad a job to do but it could be difficult getting one. So with failure sheet in hand we poodled back to Jon's house. I was quite pleased with the MOT and the test drive. The only thing I need to do now is install a shim under the drivers side front spring to lift it up level with the passenger side. This I hope will prevent any further tyre rub so long as I drive sensibly, which could be a problem for me.

Just to finish off the A40 thread here are two shots of the interior. Ignore the dust on the front parcel shelf as it was removed before the MOT so is no longer there. The interior is in very good order apart from the drivers seat which has come apart at two of the seams, but it is honest and shows its age well. As soon as I can get the car water tight (front screen rubber a must and possibly door rubbers) I will sort out the carpets.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home