Friday, April 28, 2006


A Bit of a Hair Dressers Car That MG?

I found out after a about a month that following all my hard work they had not been using the car. I ased why only to be told the car was not running right. I was too busy and to be honest didn't think I could stand to look at it again. This went on for a couple more months and for some reason I was beginning to get annoyed that they were critising the car for its faults when they had done nothing to correct or fix them. I finally agreed to have a look at it to see if I could get it running right.
I went round lifted the bonnet and the sister in law (just for laughs she was the registered keeper and was in fact a hair dresser, sorry hair stylist) started her up. The engine started and was indeed running rough. I saw the problem straight away. plug lead No. 3 had fell off. I reconnected it and as if by magic the car was returned to its old self. I muttered something to myself about "six months off the road for that" when I was struck by lightning. Well the metal fan blade actually. My left thumb was caught as I leaned over the engine. There was blood everywhere and the top of my thumb was flapping in the breeze from the fan. It hurt like hell and throbed like you wouldn't believe. I suppose you'd call that Karma so in future don't dis' the hair dresser in the MG.
Once they started to use the car again they soon found that leaving an old car laid up for so long and with out any care or attention, more things can go wrong. The brake master cylinder seals were shot. Seeing as I only had limited use of my thumb and the fact I could not be bothered, they paid someone else to re seal the cylinder. This allowed them to MOT the car as it had lapsed during it's lay up. Also as a result of not being used the batteries also died and were replaced.
Finally they decided to sell it. As much as I disliked all the grief it had caused me I still liked the car and would have liked to have bought it for myself. "Besides you can never have too many projects" sorry an in joke for the lads at work.
When my father heared they were getting rid of it he decided that he would like it as a toy to mess about in give him an excuse to were a cloth cap and tweed in his retirement. They only had a certain amount of money which was some way short of what the in laws wanted for it so unbeknown to them I put up the rest of the cash as a treat for the old man.
When he finally got the car he seemed to have had one of those senior moments as although it was parked on his driveway for over a week (a couple of years before) for the welding work he some how forgot that the car was in fact a hard top rather than the roadster he had been expecting. I think this resulted in a loss of heart to some degree. My dad drove the car for a bit and decided the steering was too heavy and asked me to have a look at it for him. They were moving to Derbyshire in a month or two so he wanted this done before they moved or atleast before the car went up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home