Thursday, April 27, 2006


When Michael Met EFAL

My first real blog will explain how I came to meet EFAL a 1973 MGB GT. A long time ago in a county far far away. My girlfrinds sister (now my sister in law) got the idea to buy an MGB. She saw EFAL and fell in love. As the family car odd job man I was asked to cast an eye over it before they exchanged their xr2i for it.
On initial inspection the car looked very good. The paintwork was in good condition (it had been resprayed but that was some time ago rather than a quick blow over) and it suited the chromework beautifully. The interior was in very good condition having been recently re trimmed in brown velour with cream piping. Nice but not to my tatse. Mechanically the car was sound with a sweet running engine nice gear change and recent overhaul of the kingpins. The only real faults I could find were preignition/running on when the engine was turned off, wear in the carb spindles and the fact it was a 73 rather than a 72 with added bonus of free road tax.
Needless to say they bought it.
The new owners are not the most old car sympathetic people in the world so I suggested to them where to spend a little money to ensure they enjoy their ownership as much as possible. These were to replace the carbs with recon ones (about £100 at the time) and install electronic ignition to ensure it stayed in tune and would start reliably. They ignored this advise and decided to spend £500 on new chromework.
Theres no helping some people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home