Saturday, August 19, 2006

Revenge of the Killer Rabbit

I never did get round to looking into the carb flooding and because I was catching lifts to work all week and the weather was poor I decided to leave it until later. On Friday Chris was unable to take me so I had to either drive or ride my wifes bike (yup, still not fixed my one). I took the car.
Being a sensible (yeh right) chap I thought I had better take the car for a spin on Thursday afternoon to check it out. She started first time and off I went. I got round the corner and approached the junction at the end of the road and then the engine started to cough and splutter and seemed to have dropped a cylinder. I managed to bump it up the kurb to have a look. It was still running but just would not rev. I pulled the plug leads off one by one. 3 and 4 were doing nothing. It had to be fuel. I switch the engine off took the fuel line off the rear carb and there was fuel. I took the float cover off and low and behold it was dry as a bone. I took the needle valve out and found it to be sludged up. I blew it through and refitted it (must buy a fuel filter). The car started and was fine.
I drove to and from work with no problems and was quite please.
This morning (Saturday) I needed to drive to the next town to pick up a parcel from the sorting office. I took the MG for an early morning drive, nice sunshine and nobody on the road. Nice. As I drove down the counrty road to civilisation a group of rabbits (flock, pack, brood??) ran across the road. Knowing how suicidal they are I never bother to turn on my lights to see if they would freeze in their tracks but decided to carry straight on. Besides if they were stupid enough to cross the road while I'm on it the that's their problem. Needless to say I hit one of them with my right front tyre (ok I ran it over) and saw it in my rear view mirror as it was flicked across to the left side of the road. Ho hum, more road kill for the foxes. I continued on my way.
After a few hundred yards to car began to slow and loose a little power. I was going down hill at the time so it was hardly noticeable. I pulled away at the end of the road and then the engine just died. I managed to have enough momentum to coast into the bus stop by the side of the road. Oops, I did not have my phone on me. Nothing unusual there then.
Suspecting a fuel problem again I removed the float cover and it was empty. I removed the fuel pipe to the chamber and no fuel came out. Surely I could not have used all the fuel I put in the car last week as I had hardly driven it. And yes the fuel gauge still does not work. Mental note buy a sender unit asap. I checked the pump was running with the ignition on and the fuel pipe disconnected. Nothing. I quick glance under the car revealed the problem.

It appears that the unlucky rabbit, with its last breath and muscle spasm managed to pull the connector for the fuel pump wire off. Either that or some part of its flattened body snagged it as the car ran over it. It must have been this wire that flung the rabbit to the left as I went over. I reconnected the wire and all was well again. So MG owners beware the killer rabbit, the ones with wire cutters for teeth are to be avaoided at all costs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home